Dawn Niedermiller, Dept Undergraduate Advisor at email@example.com
Total number of Honors Credits required (including seminar and thesis)
Minimum GPA required
3.3 overall, 3.50 in Physics courses
The honors curriculum is designed to challenge highly motivated students through their outstanding scholastic achievement and to develop interest in research and scholarly activity by providing students with an opportunity to work with faculty members.
List of requirements within the department that must be taken as Honors or Honors option
Select the honors option in three of the following (9 - 12 credits). At least one of these three courses should be selected from the 6000 level.
PHY 2140, General Physics II (Algebra based) (3 cr.)
PHY 2180, General Physics II (Calculus based) (4 cr.)
PHY 3300 Introductory Modern Physics (3 cr.)
PHY 5100, Methods of Theoretical Physics I (3 cr.)
PHY 5200, Classical Mechanics I (3 cr.)
PHY 5210, Classical Mechanics II (3 cr.)
PHY 5340/41, Optics with Lab (5 cr.)
PHY 5500, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics (4 cr.)
PHY 5620, Electronics and Electrical Measurements (5 cr.)
PHY 6400, Quantum Physics I (3 cr.)
PHY 6410, Quantum Physics II (3 cr.)
PHY 6600, Electricity and Magnetism I (4 cr.)
PHY 6610, Electricity and Magnetism II (4 cr.)
PHY 6850, Modern Physics Laboratory (2 cr.)
The following should be taken in addition to the above:
- PHY 5990, Independent Research and Thesis. (3 credits). Two semesters of research with a faculty member. A written thesis and an oral presentation of thesis are required. The thesis plan must be approved by the Honors Advisor prior to conducting the research.
- One Honors Seminar from among HON 4200 through 4280 (3 credits)
- 6 - 9 additional Honors credits in any department, as needed, for a total of 24 Honors credits.
Combined University and Departmental Honors
- Students admitted prior to Fall 2008 will automatically earn both University and Physics Honors.
- Students admitted Fall 2008 or later will require 36 total credits to earn both Physics and University Honors. The additional 12 credits may be earned in any department.
Students interested should fill out the Honors Application form.