Q. Who do I contact to get an override to add a course?
A. Please contact the Associate Chair, Professor J. Wadehra, for a course override before the beginning of the semester. Once the semester has begun, you can also bring an add-drop form to a meeting of the lecture.
Q. Who do I contact to add or change a lab section?
A. Please contact the Associate Chair, Professor J. Wadehra.
Q. Must I take lab courses PHY 2131/41 at the same time as the lectures PHY 2130/40?
A. Yes. You must enroll in both courses together. If circumstances force you to drop either the lab or the lecture, you may add the relevant section later with approval of the Associate Chair. But this is highly discouraged. 
Q. I'm required to take introductory Physics PHY2130, but I'm not sure if my math preparation is adequate. What should I do?
A. Mathematical preparation is very important for success in the algebra-based physics courses. We recommend that students take the mathematics placement exam  including the level for placement in MAT 2010. We discourage students from taking PHY 2130 if they are not at least qualified to take calculus.
Q. I'm required to take introductory Physics PHY2130 or PHY2170, but I'm not sure if my high school preparation is adequate. What should I do?
A. You may benefit from taking PHY1020 Conceptual Physics if your physics background is insufficient. This may also help If you feel you might not be ready for the rapid pace of college level science courses.
Q. I have taken algebra-based physics PHY2130 and PHY2140 and I've switched majors. My new major requires calculus based physics. Do I need to retake calculus-based intro physics?
A. The physics department generally allows General or Applied Physics majors who have taken 2130/40 to continue to higher level physics courses. Calculus-based PHY 2170/80 is strongly suggested, but not required. Other departments may require calculus-based physics and may advise their students differently. Please check with your advisor and the undergraduate physics advisor if there are further questions.
Q. I'm a Physics major who has also taken many courses mathematics. Can I skip PHY5100?
A. Students who have taken MAT2250 (Linear Algebra), MAT2350 (Differential Equations) and MAT5220 (Partial Differential Equations) may be excused from taking PHY5100 depending upon their grades in these courses. Please contact the undergraduate advisor.
Q. Who do I contact about research opportunities in the physics department?
A. The undergraduate physics advisor is a good place to start. Most of our faculty are interested in recruiting serious undergraduates for cutting edge research. In addition, we have Research Experience for Undergraduate (REU) programs that generally recruit a number of students for participation in the late-November/Early-December time frame.
Q. How can I participate in research?
A. Once you have found a faculty member you would like to work with, you have two possibilities. You can do research for credit by taking PHY5990. The faculty member may also be able to support you financially if funds are available.